04 Feb Recipe for Orange Ricotta Chocolate Chip Muffins
This past Saturday I had a brunch to attend where I was asked to make muffins to share. I found this amazing recipe on Pinterest via two peas & their pod (seriously check out this blog, cute and lots of great recipes!) I’m always a little nervous about baking for something because baking is a more exact science than cooking. If you miss something or mess something up, you may have to throw the whole final product in the garbage (and run to a bakery to get new muffins). However, these turned out great! Really moist on the inside and the glaze gives them a good texture contrast.
The recipe is supposed to make 12 muffins, but I had quite a bit left so I experimented with my mini doughnut pan. They were also a success, and look like little bundt cakes! An FYI, the ‘batter’ turns out more like a dough. You will want to figure on using a cookie scooper or ice cream scoop like the recipe says to divvy up the portions. You can’t pour it into the cups like regular muffin batter.
Unfortunately, our hairy child Murphy hurt his back Saturday morning and I had to wait around for the vet to call me instead of going to said brunch (thankfully he is back to normal now!). That meant all 24 of those delicious monsters were sitting in our kitchen, calling to us and staring us in the face. I asked Tall Guy to take a dozen of them to a meeting so we wouldn’t eat them all in a matter of two days. He refused because he wanted to eat them, they were that good-and he’s not a big muffin/pastry person to begin with. Success!
Below is the recipe. Click the recipe name to link to the original blog:
Orange Ricotta Chocolate Chip Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 18-20 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes
2 cups all-purpose Gold Medal flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
Zest of 1 orange
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 large egg
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup mini chocolate chips
For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a small bowl, add the sugar and orange zest. Rub the orange zest and sugar together with your fingers.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar and orange zest mixture together until light and fluffy, about two minutes. Add the ricotta cheese and beat until smooth. Beat in the egg, orange juice, and vanilla extract.
4. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips. Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon, divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups.
5. Bake muffins for about 18-20 minutes, or until the tops are slightly golden brown. Let muffins cool completely.
6. While the muffins are cooking, make the glaze. In a medium bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, orange zest, and orange juice. Drizzle glaze over muffins. Let the muffins sit until glaze hardens.
I’m the owner of Tall Guy. A 2016 AList Finalist for the Best Wedding Caterer. Our passion for great food inspires us to create exceptional dishes using the highest quality and locally sourced ingredients. Contact us today to service your event!