11 Feb Recipe for Butternut Squash and Spinach Pizza
Prior to this recipe, we have never cooked with butternut squash. We’ve seen lots of recipes in magazines and online using it in various capacities-risotto, soup, lasagna, souffles. When we saw a pizza recipe, we thought this is something we could sign up for. We took some basic tips from a few various recipes and made our own. It turned out great! Check out our Butternut Squash and Spinach Pizza recipe below.
Butternut Squash & Spinach Pizza
Serves 6 – Prep Time 20 minutes – Total Time 1 Hour
1 butternut squash (around 2 pounds)
1 cup fresh spinach
1/2 yellow onion diced OR 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
2 cloves of garlic minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 package whole wheat pizza dough (1lb)
1-2 tablespoons cornmeal
1/2 cup fresh ricotta cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel butternut squash. Cut off ends, clean out seeds and innards. Cut into 1/2 inch cubes (roughly).
- Toss butternut squash, onions (or onion powder), garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil in large bowl to coat squash and onion completely.
- Spread mixture on baking sheet in a single layer. Roast in oven about 20 minutes or until tender.
- Once roasted, mash mixture with potato masher or fork. This mixture will be your ‘sauce’ of the pizza.
- Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Sprinkle second baking sheet or pizza stone with cornmeal. Roll pizza dough out to around 1/4″ thickness and lay on top of cornmeal.
- Spread squash mixture over pizza dough evenly. Dollop ricotta over pizza (spread if you wish). Sprinkle spinach, then mozzarella on pizza.
- Bake about 20 minutes. Slice and enjoy!